LIST OF RECOMMENDED COURSES AND TRAINING
This page details training offered by connected organisations we feel will be useful in the professional development of our members. Details of areas of legislation relevant to a Production Manager in the live entertainment industry can also be found here.
The PMF Archive includes notes and minutes from a number of talks and courses covering these areas of legislation.
We intend this page to be member-led and draw on personal recommendations – so if you’ve completed training which has had a formative impact on your career please do get in touch. Equally additions or feedback on the organisations and training programmes detailed below is welcome.
• SOLT – Society of London Theatre http://solt.co.uk/
• ABTT – Association of British Theatre Technicians http://www.abtt.org.uk/
• HSE – UK Health and Safety Executive http://www.abtt.org.uk/
• Independent Theatre Council
• UK Theatre– formerly the Theatre Management Association https://uktheatre.org/
• SOLT: IOSH Managing Safely for Theatre Production
• ABTT: Association of British Theatre Technicians Bronze, Silver and Gold awards
• ABTT: Pyrotechnics Safety Awareness Course
• Total Fabrications: Rigging for the Entertainment Industry
• PLASA National Rigging Certificate, National Event Lifting Certificate, Trainee Rigger Scheme
• SMA: How to work safely with RIF’s and Blank Firing Handguns in Theatre
• HM Revenue and Customs: Free short courses on tax issues, Webinars
• Stage Electrics resources:
• ITC: Safeguarding for the Performing Arts– safeguarding concerns, issues and responsibilities when working with children, young people and vulnerable adults.
• College / University level Technical and Production Management
•Loler Regulations http://www.hse.gov.uk/work-equipment-machinery/loler.htm
Regulations and Guidance
• Lifting Operations and Lifting Equipment Regulations 1998 – These regulations (often abbreviated to LOLER) place duties on people and companies who own, operate or have control over lifting equipment.
• The Pyrotechnic Articles (Safety) Regulations 2015
• COSHH is the law that requires employers to control substances that are hazardous to health
• HSE Electrical safety
• The Working Time Regulations (1998) implement the European Working Time Directive into GB law
• Working at Height
• Manual Handling
• PLASA – Safety of Display Lasers